On the 12th of March 2016, five women associations - Lebanese League for Women in Business (LLWB), Arab Women in Computing Lebanon Chapter (ArabWIC Lebanon), IEEE Women in Engineering Affinity Group – Lebanon Section, Women in IT (WIT), and Digital opportunity Trust - are organizing together the “Girls Got IT” event, bringing around 400 students girls from public and private schools (10th and 11th grades) for a full day activity that will happen at the Dbayeh Convention Center.
The purpose of the event is to encourage girls to select IT (Information Technology) and STEAM subjects (Science Technology Engineering Art and Mathematic) as career choices; to promote essential technology skills for today's global economy through hands-on activities; to bridge the gender gap in technology-related fields by bringing awareness to girl students on the importance of ICT and the opportunities it can offer. Our aim is also to break the cultural stereotypes of women in STEAM by exposing young girls to inspiring role models and success stories from Lebanon and last but not least, to strengthen the bonds within society through fostering volunteering and the spirit of giving back to the society.
The objectives of the event:
- Encouraging them to select STEAM subjects as career choices,
- Promote essential technology skills for today's global economy;
- Bridge the gender gap in technology-related fields by bringing awareness to girl students on the importance of Information Technology and of the possibilities STEAM can offer
- Break the cultural stereotypes of women in STEAM by exposing young girls to inspiring role models and success stories from Lebanon
- Strengthen the bonds within society through fostering volunteering and the spirit of giving back to the society
- Support the technology startup ecosystem in Lebanon
During the one day workshop, around 20 practical and technical break-out sessions will be available for the student to engage in different activities and gain technical hands-on skills in different domains and will be given the opportunity to network and select mentors from the rich membership of the five organizers.
At the end of the day, 20 awards will be distributed to the best participants. The winning girls will explain what they learned from the session.
This event is sponsored by:
Our Platinum sponsors are: Order of Engineers and Architects - Beirut and Alfa
Our Gold sponsors are: Bank of Beirut, BLC, Bank Audi,
Our Silver Sponsors are: BLF, Booz Allen, IDM and Microsoft.